It has been a year since I have graduated with my Master’s degree in Information Systems Management from Capella. Before I entered the program, I did my research on the top IT professions for a few reasons. One, I wanted to know what jobs were out there and in demand in IT. Second, I wanted to ensure that I received a good return on investment. If I was going to invest money and time into a Master’s degree, I wanted to be certain that I entered a profession that would benefit me not just financially, but I wanted to enjoy it as well. Informationweek.com compiled a list of the top ten IT professions. The list looks pretty impressive!
Websites like Glassdoor.com, Informationweek.com and Forbes.com create lists of top IT professions that are growing and in high demand and I often look at these sites to see what is out there. Times are changing and so is the IT industry. I was surprised to see that Web Development did not rank high on these lists. I assume it may be due to the median salary. Most of the professions on the top ten list have a median salary of $75,000-130,000. I called out the web developer profession because I am currently working towards working as a web developer. My current job role is an IT Business Analyst at a Healthcare organization. Many of my skills as a BA (Business Analyst) are transferable to the role of a web developer. But I digress! I hope that you find this information helpful if you are currently or thinking about working in the Information Technology Profession.
- Data Scientist – Median salary $116,840
- Solutions Architect – Median Salary $119,500
- Mobile Developer – Median Salary $90,000
- Project Manager – Median Salary $106,680
- Software Engineer – Median Salary $95,000
- Analytics Manager – Median Salary $105,000
- Software Development Manager – Median Salary $135,000
- QA Manager – Median Salary $85,000
- UX Designer – Median Salary $91,800
- Software Architect – Median Salary $130,000
Written by: Shontelle Flowers,
Capella ACM Student Chapter Treasurer
Web Development Team Member